count the words in my document
wikiHow’s team of trained editors and researchers
This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.
This is question number 284, which appears in the following categories:
Please suggest an improvement
(login needed, link opens in new window)
Word counts the number of words, pages, paragraphs, lines, and characters (see How to see the number of characters, words and sentences in Word document). For example:
Word will open a Word Count dialog box with all counts for the selected text:
PeopleImages / Getty Images
When you work on blog posts, technical manuals, academic papers, and other documents, you may need to know how many words are in the document or the number of characters in the title. Microsoft Word contains multiple ways to get an accurate count of the number of words or characters in a document. Word also calculates the number of words or characters in selected blocks of text.
Open the document in Word that you want to count the characters in.
Click the “Review” tab.
- Activates automatically on text files (define on which file extensions you want to activate it, or turn it “Always on”)
- Counts the words and characters in your selection when you have made one (or multiple!)
- Writing goal tracker (with custom colors support)
- Works with unsaved files
- Option to exclude markdown codeblocks from count
- Option to exclude markdown and <>> critic markup comments from count
- Option to exclude markdown > blockquotes from count
- Option to show the total price per word for the document. Currency symbol can be changed in Settings.
- Option to display the time to read estimation based on word count
Counts the words and characters in your current document and displays them in the status bar. Plus a handful of great features, like:
The note editors in Evernote for Mac, Windows, and Android provide real-time word counts for each note.
Select a note and click the menu button (three dots) at the top right of the note editor, then click Note Details. . The pane that appears will contain various pieces of information about the note, including word and character counts.
During writing, people need to meet some specific requirements occasionally such as the number of words. Luckily there’s a very convenient feature in Word called Word Count. It can count the words you’ve typed in Word document. If you’re not very familiar with it, please follow these steps:
3. If you only want to count the words of several sentences of paragraphs, select the specific part before clicking Word Count.
Paste Your Text Below to Get Word Count:
Use Online Word Count to check the word count of your essays, headlines, or other text where there is a restriction on the number of words you can have. The handy character count feature helps ensure your headlines conforms to Twitter’s 140 character limit for tweets, or a page’s meta description, which cuts off at 160 characters in most search engines for example.
Word and character count is shown in the status bar, and is kept up to date as you edit.
To display extended statistics such as count of characters without spaces, double click the word count in the status bar, or choose Tools – Word Count .